Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Most Random, Bizarre, Somewhat Scary Experience on Super Bowl Sunday

Occasionally, my dad leaves to the Philippines to handle family affairs. During the time, I stay at my parent’s house with my mom so she isn't alone.

The street where my parents live on people don't normally have their neighbors over for dinner for example, if anything, they might just know the people that lives next to them.

Here I was on Super Bowl Sunday, alone at the house, with nothing much to do other than do homework and watch the Super Bowl. I woke up and decided to go to the historic, Randy's Donuts close by in Inglewood, Calif. to grab a chocolate and glaze donut. Come on, I haven't had a donut in ages...few months.

I left the little corner shop, drove home, and decided to water the grass. The lawn looked a tad bit neglected.

I finished in less than five minutes and was walking towards my front door when a middle-aged woman with a middle-Eastern accent, not too sure from where, walked up to me asking for help. She said she needed help lifting her grandfather.

I reluctantly said, "Alright." I followed her for a house or two and began wondering, "Where the hell am I going? I don't know anyone on this street even though I have lived here for eighteen years."

We ended up going five houses down, across the street, to a small home with an elderly couple, maybe from an eastern-European country based on the wife's accent. I should stop judging people on their accent.

But in this tiny bedroom I found a single bed with an old man on the floor and his wife calmly sitting on the bed. Judging on the way they looked, they were not related to the woman I followed but you never know, she probably was their caretaker.

The first thing the caretaker asked me to do was move his portable toilet. That was interesting. I was hoping I wouldn't knock it over or tilt it somehow and have his waste, for lack of a proper word, pour all over me. I then grabbed his left shoulder while his caretaker took the right and slowly lifted him onto a chair.

The man could clearly not walk on his own as his legs were shaking uncontrollably as he was trying to help us get him up off the floor. He couldn't speak well either, barely responding to questions from his wife and caretaker.

By this time I was terrified because I try to avoid handling people most of the time. I'm scared of children and rarely handle an elderly person like this. The only people being my dad's mom and her mom years ago. It wasn't comfortable both because I didn’t know this person and here he was with some kind of underwear or diaper that was barely holding on and had nothing but a cotton pad between his legs.

But really I just wanted to help this guy because he had fallen and couldn't get up.

Now he's sitting in his chair but now we have to move him to his wheel chair. The caretaker didn't realize she was moving the chair with the brakes on so it was difficult at first. This upcoming part was a bit nerve wrecking for me.

We kind of got him in the chair but his pillow was out of place. The caretaker then wanted me to lift him while she moved the cushion. She showed me how to do it by facing him and placing my legs in between his and lifting him. I tried lifting from the side the first time but she told me I had to position my legs in front of his so I don’t drop him.

So I got in front of him, put his shoulders over mine and lifted. It was creepy because his legs were shaking, he was mumbling something I couldn’t understand, and I thought I felt the cotton pad.

Weird. Odd. Kind of scary.

Hopefully I didn't hurt him at all.

By this time and based on the look on his wife's face it looked like were done. I was relieved. We said our quick good-byes and I left.

All I could think after was how random and after twenty-three years I finally met the people who lived five houses down and across the street and the way we were introduced.

No comments: